Assistance Offered to Households Displaced in Colorado
last updated on Friday, February 11, 2022 in Community News
The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) recently issued a statement to allow vacant AHP-assisted rental units to be leased temporarily to individuals/households, regardless of their income, who were displaced by the Colorado wildfires and straight-line winds. Eligible individuals/households must have resided in a county designated on or after December 31, 2021 for Individual Assistance by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Temporary suspension of household income limits for AHP-assisted rental projects is permissible under the following requirements:
- Project owners or sponsors must obtain written approval from the Federal Home Loan Bank that approved their AHP project to temporarily suspend household income limits for disaster-displaced individuals/households;
- Project owners or sponsors must obtain, maintain, and certify certain information about the displaced individual/household, including name and former address, and a statement, signed under penalty of perjury by the individual/head of household, that the individual/household requires temporary housing because of damage to their home in an eligible county;
- Project owners or sponsors must maintain documentation of the date the individual/household began temporary occupancy of the AHP unit and the date the occupancy ends;
- Rents charged must not exceed the existing AHP rents for the units, except as permitted under other federal agency declarations for housing assistance for disaster-displaced households;
- Existing AHP-eligible tenants cannot be evicted or otherwise have their tenancy terminated as a result of efforts to provide temporary housing for displaced individuals/households; and
- The time period for suspension of household income limits shall not extend beyond February 28, 2023.
Please contact Community Investment at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.544.3452, ext. 2400 with any questions you may have.
- Affordable Housing Program