Federal Home Loan Bank of Des Moines Announces 2021 Strong Communities Award Finalists
last updated on Tuesday, September 28, 2021 in Community News
The Federal Home Loan Bank of Des Moines (FHLB Des Moines or the Bank) announced seven finalists for the Strong Communities Award. The annual award honors local projects, people and programs that benefit small businesses and support retention in their communities.
Finalists from the Midwest to the West Coast and as far as Alaska and Hawaii will compete for the top prize to support the economic development and housing needs in their communities. The award winners will be determined through a public vote which begins on October 4, 2021. Finalists are split into two categories, urban and rural, and winners in both categories will be awarded $15,000, while runners-up will be awarded $3,000 each.
Since its beginning, applications for the Strong Communities Award have continued to grow. A full list of finalists can be found below. Voting will open on October 4 at www.fhlbdm.com/award.
Rural Category Finalists
- Bank of Salem (Missouri)
- Bank of Salem partnered with community leaders to launch the Salem R80 Construction Trades Program that addresses community needs, while providing students with a career track that wasn’t tied to a four-year degree.
- Branson Bank (Missouri)
- Branson Bank supported Elevate Branson’s development of a robust workforce training program targeting unemployed, underemployed, impovervished and sheltered homeless individuals in Branson, Missouri.
- Citizens State Bank of Waverly (Minnesota)
- Citizens State Bank of Waverly participated in a county-wide effort led by Wright County Community Action to provide meals to seniors and support local businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- True North Federal Credit Union (Alaska)
- True North Federal Credit Union assisted the Juneau Economic Development Council with the creation of The Local Frequency program that encourages Juneau residents to shift their spending habits to support local businesses.
Urban Category Finalists
- American Savings Bank (Hawaii)
- American Savings Bank partnered with Kupu to launch Kupu Aina Corps, a workforce development program that addresses the drastic effects of COVID-19 on Hawaii’s local economy.
- St. Louis Community Credit Union (Missouri)
- St. Louis Community Credit Union played an integral role in help Prosperity Connection and Park Central Development create a Real Estate Tax Assistance Fund (RETAF) to provide financial relief to families at risk of losing their home due to delinquent property taxes.
- Freedom Financial Bank (Iowa)
- Freedom Financial Bank secured funding to help Central Iowa Shelter and Services expand their services and shelter to assist homeless individuals in Central Iowa.
For more information about the FHLB Des Moines Strong Communities Award visit www.fhlbdm.com/award.
- Strong Communities Award