Top 5 Reasons to Invest in Affordable Housing
posted on Friday, May 20, 2016 in Affordable Housing
Housing impacts lives beyond just putting a roof over a family's head. An investment in affordable housing is an investment in the future of your community. Consider these five reasons to support affordable housing to support your customers, your community and your region.
- Create employment opportunities: attract and retain workers by giving them access to safe and suitable housing they can afford. The Center for Housing Policy and MacArthur Foundation explore the how a sufficient supply of affordable housing could give your community a competitive advantage in The Role of Affordable Housing in Creating Jobs and Stimulating Local Economic Development.
- Strengthen education outcomes: The Center for Housing Policy gives you seven reasons why affordable housing has a positive impact on educational success.
- Improve physical and mental health: From ensuring the home is safe and free from hazards to avoiding overcrowded living conditions, affordable housing has the ability to improve the health of families. Read this brief from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to learn more.
- Promotes independency in older adults: Fifteen years from now, one in five people will be at least aged 65. This study, by the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University, describes the important role affordable housing can play in allowing older adults to age at home.
- Serve as a revenue source for local governments: cities and states can benefit from local revenues including permits, utilities, sales taxes and property taxes. Find out more here.
- affordable housing program
- community investment programs